Shawn - September 17th, 2010
One of the hardest things for a small business owner to do is to differentiate themselves from their competition. But what’s the one thing that we see all too frequently? Pre-made website templates that make them look like a million other people.
To add insult to that injury some template providers break down the designs into categories so there’s a selection of real estate templates or ones “specially designed” for florists.
So what templates are your competitors gravitating towards? The same ones you are because they contain the industry specialized sections that you need and that same pool of stock images.
So here are your biggest issues with pre-fab website templates:
- Visitors will probably judge you by how professional and creative your website is (or is not)
- You’ll lose that edge, the distinction that you want associated with your brand and company
- One size doesn’t fit all
- You always get what you pay for
- The most popular pre-made templates (one of which you'd probably choose) are used on thousands of other websites (and can be easily recognized by potential customers who are browsing your industry in search of a resource)
- Your creative options are vastly limited and everything you do must conform to the pre-made template design
While it’s true that expense is usually the number one reason that business owners flock to the template-style websites, the face of your business is the one place you shouldn’t skimp; what you’re paying for is a first impression.
You need to use better, stronger, slicker tools than your opponents to set yourself apart. And if you stand out from the crowd, you need never look back.